Discord is a feature-rich application mostly used by gamers for seamless communication. Although it’s pretty reliable, it still has some issues that disappoint users. One of the common issues you may experience is the automatic opening on startup. This might be a good thing if you use Discord regularly. Otherwise, it can be quite irritating to see the app opening every time you turn on your PC.
If you have been experiencing the same problem and need a permanent solution, you are in the right place. Today’s post will show you how to easily stop Discord from opening on startup. Read on.
Why Does Discord Open on Startup?
Discord has an auto-start feature that automatically launches the app once you turn on your computer. This can slow down your PC, especially if you have other software that behave the same. Fortunately, you can disable the auto-start feature to prevent automatic startups.
How to Stop Discord from Opening on Startup
You can resolve the issue by applying any of these methods:
- Disabling the auto-start feature in Discord.
- Removing Discord from task manager’s startup apps list.
Using either of these methods should eliminate the problem. However, you can apply both if the issue persists.
Let’s dive right in.
Method 1: Disable the Auto-Start Feature in Discord
This is an easy way to stop Discord from opening on startup that you can use on any operating system. Follow these steps to disable auto-start:
1. Launch Discord on your PC.
2. Go to the left pane and click on the Settings icon (gear icon at the bottom-right corner next to your avatar.
3. Once the Settings window opens, scroll down the left menu pane to the App Settings section. Here, select “Windows Settings”.
4. Head to the System Startup Behavior section and disable the “Open Discord” option.
5. Once done, press the Esc button on your keyboard.
6. Now restart you computer and see if that prevents Discord from launching at startup.
Method 2: Disable Discord on Startup in Windows Task Manager
Using the task manager is an excellent way to stop apps from running in the background and automatically opening on startup. Here is how to use it to stop Discord from opening on startup on your Windows PC:
1 Press the Windows logo key + S to open Search.
2. Type in “task manager” (no quotes) and then choose “Open” on the right-side menu. Alternatively, use the Ctrl + Shift + Esc combo to launch the task manager.
3. When it opens, navigate to the Startup tab. You should see Discord on the displayed list.
4. Select “Discord” and right-click on it, then choose “Disable”. Or, click on the Disable button at the bottom-right corner.
5. Close the task manager, restart your computer, and check and see if Discord no longer launches at startup.
The Discord opening on startup issue can be quite a pain in the neck, especially if you don’t know how to fix it. Luckily, you now know how to solve it hassle-free. If you have any questions or comments, make sure to drop them in the section below.