Since its launch in 2011, Twitch has proved to be a unique and valuable live streaming platform. You probably use it to watch streamers playing video games if you are here. Unlike most platforms, Twitch offers you a variety of ways to support your favorite streamers. Donations are the most common way to support streamers. In today’s post, we will walk you through the various ways you can donate on Twitch.
How to Donate to Streamers on Twitch
Twitch provides different ways to donate to users’ channels. Each method works differently, so read on to see which one suits you best.
Method 1: Use the Donate Button
Most streamers include a donation button on their channels to make it easier for fans to support them. Streamers can use either Streamlabs or PayPal for donations. However, most streamers use Streamlabs as it supports both credit cards and PayPal.
Follow these steps to donate on Twitch using the donation button:
1. Visit Twitch’s website and log in to your Twitch account.
2. Search for the channel you want to support and open it.
3. When a new window opens, scroll down to find the “DONATE” button and click on it. If you can’t see it, the streamer probably doesn’t accept donations.
4. On the new page, indicate the donation amount, plus any other needed details. Then, click on the “TIP” button at the bottom of the window.
5. Once done, the streamer will receive your donation. If the channel is streaming at that time, your donation will appear on the screen. If it doesn’t, check if your transaction went through. However, the donation might not appear on the live stream if the streamer has disabled notifications. If that’s the case, you should likely get a shout-out after the stream.
Method 2: Donate Using Bits
If you don’t want to use a third-party service to donate, this option is for you. Twitch Bits are a virtual currency you can buy from Twitch to use on the platform to support creators and streamers.
Here is how to donate on Twitch using Twitch Bits:
1. Log in to your Twitch account.
2. Search for the streamer you want to donate to and visit their channel.
3. Next, click on the “Get Bits” button in the top-right corner of the screen.
4. Here, select the number of bits you want to donate. You should see the cost on the right side of the page.
5. Sign in to your Amazon account to initiate the transaction. If you haven’t linked your Twitch and Amazon accounts, you will see a prompt to do so.
6. After completing the payment, go back to the streamer’s page and type “cheer,” then the amount of bits you want to donate into the small chat section on the right pane. For instance, type in “cheer200” to donate 200 bits to the channel.
Can I Donate by Subscribing?
Although different from the methods above, subscribing is another form of supporting a streamer. Subscriptions cost about $5 depending on your selected tier class, and they give you access to special privileges on the channel.
Twitch provides an excellent platform for gamers to stream their gameplay. Besides enjoying content, you can now support streamers through donations. Luckily, you now know how to easily donate on Twitch using the discussed methods in this article. If you have any questions about these methods, please drop a comment below.