When you create an Xbox Gamertag, that becomes your alias for every game you play on the platform.
However, many gamers change their minds on what they want their gamertag to be.
While your reason for changing your Xbox gamertag may range from changing to a cooler name to fixing something dumb you came up with as a kid, it’s not a difficult process to switch it.
And, in this guide, we’ll go over the step-by-step process of changing your Xbox Gamertag.
Changing Your Xbox Gamertag on PC
If you’re using Windows 10 or 11, the Xbox Console Companion comes pre-installed with the system. So you can change your Gamertag on Windows easily following these steps.
- Click on the Windows Start button.
- Look for the Xbox Console Companion app.
- Log into your account.
- Click on your profile picture to the left.
- Click Customize Towards the right of the new menu.
- Select Change gamertag.
- Type in your desired Gamertag and click Check availability after being redirected to Xbox’s social site.
- Double-check the information on the new window, then press Change gamertag to confirm the changes.
The process is the same if you use the Android App.
An Xbox Gamertag must follow Microsoft’s Community standards for Xbox, have up to 12 characters, including spaces, and cannot begin with a number.
If you’ve already changed your Gamertag once, Microsoft will prompt you to pay for another change before finishing up. (Costs vary by region, but, for US residents additional gamertag changes cost $9.99.)
Changing Your Gamertag on Xbox Series X/S or Xbox One
To change your Xbox gamertag directly in your Xbox, use the following steps:
- On your controller, press the Xbox button
- Go into Profile & System, and choose your gamertag
- Choose Profile, and then Customize Profile
- From there, underneath Choose your new gamertag, type in your desired name and then hit Check availabilty
- If your new desired name is available and you want to lock it in, hit Change gamertag
What if I’ve Already Changed My Gamertag Before?
You can change your Gamertag for free once. After that, you can either create a new Microsoft account to get a new gamertag, or you’ll have to pay to change your Gamertag again. Here are the steps to set up a new account.
- Click on the gear icon on the left side of your Xbox app menu.
- Click Sign out to change to another account.
- Select the Sign in option.
- Click on the Use a different account option instead of your old account.
- Choose No account? Create one! on the new window.
- Input all the necessary information.
- Log into the new account and pick your new Gamertag.
Important! If you create a new account, the games purchased on your previous account do not carry over to your new game library.
And that’s all you need to know on how to change your Xbox gamertag. Think carefully before committing to your next alias!