There are many reasons why you may wish to change your name in Fortnite. Perhaps that cool name you chose back in 2017 doesn’t seem so cool anymore, or maybe you want to align yourself to a new clan you’ve started playing with.
Or, perhaps you’re just bored and fancy something new.
Whatever your reason, it’s a simple process to change your name in Fortnite. However, the steps are a little different depending on which platform you play on. Let’s take a look at how you can change your name on each platform.
How To Change Your Name in Fortnite For PC
Changing your Fortnite name on PC isn’t done inside the game, nor on the Epic Games app.
1. To change your Fortnite name on PC, you’ll first need to head over to the Epic Games website.
2. Then, login into your Epic Games account.
3. Next, hover over your username on the top-right of the webpage, and click ‘Account’.
4. Navigate to the ‘General’ tab, and take a look at ‘Account Info’. The left-side box will show your current display name. To change it, click the blue ‘Edit’ button.
5. Finally, simply enter your desired display name in the boxes provided and and click ‘Confirm’. As long as your name isn’t taken or doesn’t fall foul of Epic Games’ naming rules, you should be all set!
It’s important to note that you can only change your Fortnite name on PC once every two weeks. It’s not a particularly long wait, but make sure you type your new name in correctly as otherwise you’ll be stuck with it for a little while!
*Also Read: Best Gaming PC Builds for Fortnite
How To Change Your Name in Fortnite For Playstation
If you play Fortnite on one of Sony’s consoles, you may have noticed that your Fortnite name is the same as your PSN username, otherwise known as your Online ID. On Playstation, Fortnite automatically pulls your PSN name, and there’s no way to change one without the other.
Therefore, if you want to change your name in Fortnite on Playstation, you’ll need to change your PSN name. You can do this by following the steps below (these are PS5 instructions, but the PS4 steps are virtually identical):
1. Click the little cog on the top-right of your Homescreen to access your settings.
2. Navigate down to ‘Users and Accounts’, and click ‘Account’.
3. Head to ‘Profile’, and then ‘Online ID’. You may be prompted to enter your password here.
4. Now it’s time to choose your new Online ID, and more importantly, your new Fortnite name. It’s free to change your Online ID for the first time, but each time thereafter there will be a charge of $9.99/£7.99. The fee is reduced by 50% if you’re subscribed to PS Plus.
5. Type in your desired username and click ‘Confirm’. There’ll be a few simple instructions to click through afterwards, and then you’re finished!
Unlike on PC, you can change your Fortnite name on Playstation as much as you’d like. Just remember you’ll need to pay after you’ve changed it once.
How To Change Your Name In Fortnite For Xbox
Much like Playstation, your name in Fortnite on Xbox is tied to your Gamertag. Similarly, you’ll need to change your Gamertag in order to change your Fortnite username. To do this, follow the steps below:
1. Hold down the middle button on your controller.
2. Use the right bumper to navigate to the ‘Profile & system’ menu. Select ‘My Profile’.
3. From here, select ‘Customize my profile’.
4. Click your existing Gamertag, and you’ll be taken to the ‘Choose your new gamertag’ screen.
5. Simpy type in your new Gamertag, and click ‘Check Availability’.
6. Read the information on the following screen, and click ‘Change gamertag’. Confirm the change on the following pop up and then you’re good to go!
*Alternatively, if you have a Windows PC, you can also use the Xbox Console Companion app to change your gamertag.
Like Sony, Microsoft allows you to change your Gamertag for free once. All further changes will cost $9.99/£7.99.
How To Change Your Name In Fortnite For Nintendo Switch
Unlike the other consoles, your Fortnite name on Nintendo Switch actually pulls directly from your Epic Games account. Therefore, simply head to the Epic Games website and follow the PC instructions from earlier in the article to change your Fortnite name on the Switch.
How To Change Your Name In Fortnite For Mobile
If you prefer to play Fortnite on mobile, then you’ll also need to make the change through your Epic Games account. To do this, simply follow the PC instructions outlined at the beginning of the article.